Monday, December 15, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to my new blog!

Three crazy years ago, I decided I was going to write a book. Not just any book, but a good book. I thought it'd take me a few months. I was wrong about that. But after all manner of obstacles and thanks to my Ahab-like obsession with finishing my novel, it was done. And by 'done' I mean I'm not touching the manuscript until an agent/editor/reader suggests revisions because I've looked it over so many times my eyes have glazed over, my brain has liquified, and I can no longer see the flaws in my own work. Maybe after a few months, I'll look at it again and do further re-writes. But for now, it's done and I get a Coke Slurpee for all my hard work.

My book? A little Middle Grade historical fiction piece called "Surviving Matewan." The title of the blog being a play on the book title. It's set in 1920, Matewan, West Virginia and is about 12-year-old Molly Anne McCoy, a coal miner's daughter who must keep her family safe during an epic and bloody showdown between the United Mine Workers of America (UMWA) and the coal companies.

This isn't the first time I've written a book. I've written bad books before. Singing animals, forced rhymes, I apologize to all the agents I sent those books too. My latest book is much better, I swear. I'll be posting updates on my attempts to get published, more background on the book itself, and the exercise in insanity that is writing a novel.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment