Friday, January 16, 2009

The Waiting Game

Apparently my query wasn't half-bad, because I got a request for a full for Surviving Matewan. Pretty cool, huh? Hopefully I don't jinx anything by mentioning it, but this is the second time I've had a full requested, so I thought I'd share my experience.

Just like the first time, I spent the first ten minutes doing a dance around my house, shouting, "Nuh-uh, no way!" and re-reading the e-mail to make sure I had read it right (maybe the agent meant something else by "please send it to me").

Like last time, I didn't send the manuscript right away, and this is always a smart move because when you're that excited, it's very easy to make a mistake. Take a couple of hours or even a couple of days to calm down, then carefully read the agent's instructions and look over the manuscript.

If you have any questions about how the agent wants the manuscript sent, don't hesitate to politely ask for clarification. I had to do that with the first agent and I'm glad I did, as otherwise I wouldn't have sent her the materials the way she wanted and she was very understanding.

I have a bit more confidence this time around, not because I think the agent will offer representation, I know the chances of that are small (though I'm ever hopeful!), but with the first request, I couldn't help but wonder if it was a fluke, maybe the agent made a mistake or took pity on me. I know agents don't really do that, but somehow that thought crept into my head. With a second request, it's no longer a once in a lifetime event.

Now that the manuscript is sent, it's time for the interminable waiting. The last time, I tried to keep myself busy, but I ended up checking my e-mail far more than was healthy. This time, I'm determined to keep my mind off the manuscript. Give the beagle extra walks, give my mother's dogs extra walks, clean the house, enter blog contests, engage in endless speculation about Battlestar Galactica (I don't know if I'll ever know the truth, but I do know the confusion), etc., etc. Whatever it takes to busy myself.

1 comment:

  1. Well congratulations! I am excited for you!
    And you have just as much chance as anyone else the agent reps, to get an offer. So good luck!
    May the writing gods smile down on you!

    ReplyDelete